We welcome introductions, manuscripts, links to images, book proposals, funder inquiries, curatorial ideas etc. We are a small group of bookmakers and publishers and typically produce 1-3 releases per year. We are always thrilled to meet new artists and help them realize their creative visions.
For Prospective Artists
Our ideal artist:
- Has explored the FWP catalogue and is interested in connecting with Free Witch artists through readership, collaboration, and creative and personal exchange.
- Has an active creative practice.
- Enjoys low-brow and DIY aesthetic and wants to present their work in this style.
- Is interested in the process based focus of FWP.
- Is interested in creating for a small engaged audience. (Think all the people that can fit in one living room eating one pot of chili and 2 jugs of Carlo, for reference)
Our ideal projects:
- New work.
- Personal perspective, unique to the artist
- High quality
- Relate to and deepen our catalogue
- Relate to our interests: Poetry, Gardening/Ecology, Children’s, Metaphysics, Art Zines, Risograph, Guide Books, Cars and Roads, Calendars, Experimental Fiction, Erotica, Translations
What we offer
- Creative Incubation support
- Design support
- Dynamic Peer Readership
- Payment to artists. The amounts are more symbolic than lucrative.
- Remote Distribution via our website and USPS
- Gentle Promotion
- Email newsletter
- Annual event (most years)
- Instagram promo (limited)
- Support to artists who want to go further with promo for their projects
Things we don’t print:
- Previously released work
- Compilations of past work
- Exhibition Catalogues
Things we don’t offer
- Official copyrighting (though artists can self register)
- Brick & Mortar distribution (extremely limited exceptions)
- A way to make a living.
About our Process
The Free Witch Press is a process based artist centered publishing project. This means that the majority of our resources go toward facilitating and supporting the creation and completion of new work. Our main focus is supporting artists in bring a project to a cohesive point of closure where it can be easily and accessibly shared, creating opportunities for creative community and connection. We offer a container for projects that might not find a home in traditional publishing and that can benefit from our editing team, art direction, and practical stapling experience.
All our books go direct from us to our readership, bypassing third party sellers, with some very limited exceptions.
We pay artists.
Typically $50 – $100 for a short book, print, or zine edition of 100. The artist advances/royalties are mostly symbolic, as we typically do not make money or even break even with these projects. If you are looking to make money with your book/print we recommend a different avenue of publication.
Designers, Illustrators, Editors, Bookbinders, Funders
We welcome portfolio submissions for design and illustration as well introductions if you are a freelance editor or craftsperson or independent funder interested in getting involved.
You retain the copyright to your work. We ask that you commit to not publish the same project elsewhere, including self publish and online publishing, except for promotional excerpts, the work we produce for a period of 2 years from its release date.